Chest Medicine Consultant Pulmonology
Harley Street Allergy Clinic Asthma and Sleep Medicine
Dr. Enson Cherian Thomas
I have been working as Consultant Respiratory and General Physician at Bedford Hospital from December 2002. For the last several years I am also the clinical lead for Respiratory Services. Since then I was involved in developing the Respiratory services at Bedford Hospital. The service developments include the following:
- Establishment of Lung Cancer Services including Lung Cancer MDT,
- Commencement of NIV service and recently the setting up of monitored beds,
- Setting up of fully staffed Lung Function Lab providing full lung function studies, diagnostic sleep studies, Bronchial Provocation studies, Flight assessment and exhaled Nitric Oxide measurement,
- Setting up of Pleural Ultrasound and outpatient pleural service,
- Integrated COPD service,
- Starting skin prick tests and anti IgE service,
- Respiratory Nursing service and
- COPD, severe Asthma, ILD and Hyperinflation MDT
In addition to this we have a full-fledged TB service and are in the process of setting up an ILD service. We are also a post graduate training hospital and have 3 Registrars on the firm, 2 of which are in training posts. I played a key role in the mentoring and development of Dr Amer Saleem, whom we later appointed as a Locum Consultant Physician at our hospital.
As part of my postgraduate training in India I conducted a study on ‘Pulmonary functions during sleep in patients of COPD’. This was submitted and accepted as part of the requirement towards my M.D. degree.
During my training I was involved in a study to investigate the optimum dose of salbutamol for the treatment of acute exacerbations of COPD admitted to hospital. This was accepted as a poster presentation at the European Respiratory Society annual congress, 2002, Stockholm and later published in the CHEST.
I have been a principal investigator for several large multicenter, multinational clinical trials.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
A Randomized Controlled Trial To Assess the Optimal Dose and Effect of Nebulised Albuterol in Acute Exacerbations of COPD – Suresh Nair, Enson Thomas, Stanley B. Pearson and Michael T. Henry – Chest 2005;128;48-54.
Petousi N, Mathew J, Thomas EC. A patient presenting with generalised lymphadenopathy – sarcoidosis, lymphoma or tuberculosis? –
BMJ Case Reports 2012;10.1136/bcr.11.2011.5150.
Petousi N, Thomas EC: Interferon-β-induced pulmonary sarcoidosis in a 30-year-old woman treated for multiple sclerosis: a case report
J Med Case Rep 2012, 6(1):344
Saleem A, Thomas EC, Wilkinson A et al: Bilateral Miliary Shadowing on Chest X-ray
Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan 2013, Vol. 23 (12): 902-903
Tariq SM, Thomas EC: Maintenance therapy in COPD: time to phase out ICS and switch to the new LAMA/LABA inhalers?
International Journal of COPD 2017:12 1–6
The following papers were presented at the BTOG:
- EGFR mutational testing in non-squamous lung cancer: 12 months experience from a Cancer Unit in UK
V.Bulusu, Y.Jeffs, S.Jessop, O-P Kwame, E.Thomas, A.Egan, P.Hicks, M.Azher
- Lung Cancer in patients older than 75 years- referral pathways, interventions and outcomes: experience from a cancer unit
Y.Jeffs, K.Adu-Poko, M.Azher, A.Egan, P.Hicks, E.Thomas, T.Broadhurst, V.Bulusu
- Lung nodule surveillance programme (LNSP) in a Cancer unit: Lung cancer team experience from Bedford Hospital, UK
Jeffs Y P, Hicks P, Jessop S, Egan A, Azher M, Thomas E, Adu-Poku K, Bulusu V R.
- Pemetrexed and Carboplatin (PC) doublet in advanced non squamous Non-small cell lung cancer. Real life experience from a Cancer Unit.
Jessop S, Jeffs Y P, Adu-Poku K, Thomas E, Azher M, Hicks P, Egan A, Bulusu V R
TEACHING & TRAINING:
I have been actively involved in teaching and training throughout my career starting from my days as a Houseman. This has continued to date and I am regularly involved in teaching and training medical students from Cambridge, foundation trainees, core medical trainees, GP trainees, nurses, GP’s and Specialist Registrars. I regularly teach on the Foundation core teaching programme and tutorials for the Cambridge medical students.
I have been a ‘Recognized Clinical Teacher’ for the University of Cambridge from March 2006 and the Under Graduate Specialty Tutor in Medicine from January 2011.
I have worked as an ‘Educational Supervisor’ for the Foundation training programme and our Specialist Registrars. This has helped me to have a very useful insight and knowledge into Foundation training and its management. As a result I am now able to provide appropriate leadership to medical education.